Below - A photo taken in the park in the early 20th Century.
St George Park.
In 1894 the Fire Engine Farm in St George was purchased with the purpose of laying
out the park and the paths were laid.
A lake was built along with a bandstand, trees, and additional features were also
added. In 1897 the park became the responsibility of Bristol Council and by 1902
the splendid avenue of London Plane trees was installed. St George Park is now seen
as a showcase park in the City of Bristol, and is popular with local residents and
In 2017 a new raised floral bed was created in St George Park, and this was funded
by the Tesco's Bags of Help grant that St. George in Bloom was awarded in 2017.
In April 2018 a new fence was constructed by members of St George in Bloom and installed
around this area to protect the plants. A gap in the fence has deliberately been
left for ease of access, maintenance and further planting.This installation was
also funded by the Tesco's Bags of Help grant that St George in Bloom received.
In 2019 volunteers from St George in Bloom created an entirely new garden at the
entrance to St George Park. St George in Bloom applied to local shops and commercial
outlets, and their generous donations paid for the project.
The planting a scheme is designed to act as an important pollen and nectar food source
for Bees and pollinating insects, and volunteers from St George in Bloom have created
pollen and nectar - rich planting schemes at several other local sites.
The entrance to the St George Park before the work commenced in 2018.
The completed planting scheme in 2019.
The restoration of the original benches in the park.
When you are relaxing and sitting on a bench in the park and enjoying the lovely
vistas, spare a thought for the local residents who have given up their free time
as volunteers to repair and restore the benches that are located there.
The Rev Andrew Yell (Right) and Trevor Ball (Left) worked very hard to ensure that
the benches were restored and repainted as part of a project called ' Bench Aid'
a number of years ago.
Volunteers from St George in Bloom have also planted and maintained the two circular
planters at the main entrance